I had the most amazing experience last week. My dear friend Sherry Woodard helped me put it into words for the Baylor newsletter. Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did. Merry Christmas!
I am blessed to be the mother of two girls. I love to see their faces shine on Christmas morning when Santa brings them exactly what they wanted; even though they have asked for those very gifts. Their faces register such awe at the treasures awaiting them. Recently, I received a special preview of just that awed expression in an unexpected place.
As part of the outreach of the Junior League of Dallas, I am able to meet the patients at Twice Blessed House. We planned a Christmas Light Tour to replace the daily routine of doctor appointments, tests, doubts and fears with the joy of the season. As our bus filled with revelers, a surprise call gave us an opportunity to believe once more that there really is a Santa Claus.
One of the patient’s from TBH came to Baylor several weeks ago for a liver transplant with disappointing results as the liver was determined not to be a match. Disappointment was soon followed by hope as he was moved higher on the transplant list. Each day his health was deteriorating; a transplant was his only hope for survival. He spent his days waiting for that life saving phone call. With waning hope, he decided to take a much needed break for a quick dose of the Christmas spirit.
As our group departed from TBH, a phone rang through the silence and restored his hope. The call he had prayed for, wished for, asked for and anxiously awaited had arrived. The transplant team has found a liver! He needed to get to Baylor Hospital immediately to receive this gift of life.
Our group broke out in a roaring cheer and tears of jubilation. Others from TBH that had become friends over the weeks patted him on the back, shared their congratulations and said they knew “that the third time would be a charm!” I quickly said a prayer that this gift would be a match and that he wouldn’t have to know the fear of waiting again.
I am twice blessed to volunteer at TBH, as this is my second year working with the patients. I get to see people’s lives changed, to witness miracles time and again. While our role may not be as life changing as the transplant surgeon’s– as a volunteer we provide a different type of gift. We help them believe - believe that they can have a ‘normal’ day by simply passing the time, sharing meals, or special events with them. Patients arrive each week disillusioned, disappointed and filled with worry. TBH and their volunteers are given the privilege of watching them walk away filled with hope, strength and ready for a new beginning.
I am reminded of the Christmas legend of a little girl who wrote the Editor of the New York Sun to ask:
“Dear Editor, I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?”
Francis Church’s reply to this letter has resonated as I share the story of this miracle with you:
Your little friends are wrong…Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exists…Alas! How dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then…
I am reminded to believe in miracles with childlike faith and to generously share the gifts I have been given. This Christmas I know for certain that there is a Santa Claus. I know because I saw his gifts delivered through TBH. I have seen a community drawn together through shared suffering experience sheer joy at a gift given to another. And isn’t that truly what Christmas is all about? About the sheer joys of seeing another receive a gift: whether in the simple form of a stocking on the mantle or in the complex gift of new life.
Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus.
Monday, December 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment