Thursday, December 17, 2009

Stockings!

My great aunt started making stockings for the family when my mother was little. Several women in Austin did it including Lady Bird Johnson. We have continued with the tradition. Gram made mine for me when I was born and I have loved it. KayKay has been quite busy making stockings the past few years. Tyler's was the first she made. She has Santa fly fishing, a longhorn, the KA flag and the 4UR fishing ranch he loves on his stocking. The following year she made "Aunt A's" and Gracie's. She thought she might get a break this year but then we found out Caroline was coming. She worked very hard to get Caroline's done for Christmas this year. It is amazing!!!! I think I need to start practicing now so I can make them for my grandchildren one day...haha...I can't sew. Thanks KayKay and Gram for making the stockings for us. We think they are so wonderful!
Here are all our stocking hanging together on the mantel. It is hard to believe we have a full mantel of stockings for our family now!
This is the stocking KayKay made Caroline this year. It is absolutely adorable and she will cherish it for many years to come!
We also have a tradition of the grandmother making an ornament for the grandchild every year. The first year it is always a picture frame with their baby picture in it. After that they make an ornament. I love all my ornamnets from when I was little and still hang them on my tree. Gracie got her ornament this year. KayKay made it of Barney because that is her favorite show. I will always remember her sitting in her rocking chair drinking her milk and asking for Barney. Thank you KayKay for making it so special for Gracie.
Gracie's ornament this year is her favorite...Barney
KayKay put her name and year on the back so when she has her own tree she will know when she got the ornament and what she loved that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment